Monday 6 November 2017

MM. Altered Cover - BoS / Grimoire

My New BoS / Grimoire / Witchy Journal etc..
My Altered Cover Review - How it turned out WIP..



Products.
Fabric - on ebay years ago 
Bat charms £2.95 for 2 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//252738756512

Links.
Pinterest - BOS / Grimoire / Witchy Journal / BOM / BOL - Ideas..   This collection is a mixture of layout ideas, prompts, concepts, content, inspiration and notes...  https://www.pinterest.co.uk/missimoinsane/bos-grimoire-bom-bol-witchy-journal-ideas/



Pinterest - https://pintrest.com/missimoinsane/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fwd. Facebook post:

The cover was already coming off of the book so I carefully peeled it away (perhaps use a craft heat gun to melt the glue if needed) I then wrapped the fabric around the book cover and pages marking with chalk roughly where I want the design to land and then laid my material pattern down. I placed mine on my glass cutting board but glass chopping board or one of them Tim holtz craft mats or silicone mat - something that the fabric won't stick to when wet with glue.

I removed the pages and taking the cover I glued the entire outside front of it and then that part of the fabric with a thicker layer of mod podge fabric glue. I smoothed it out. I then painted the spine and the fabric where the spine would go. And finally the outside back of the cover and the fabric. I smoothed it all out making sure it was flat with no bubbles or wrinkles etc..

I then cut the excess fabric away. Inc triangles at the corners. Double checked the make sure everything was smooth still and then started pasting the glue into the inside of the cover and fabric then gluing them together pulling taught but not too taught. I did top, bottom, left and corners then right and corners. The corners worked out much better than I had expected.. I was planning on using some metal corner protectors I have in my craft stash but they rounded off nicely enough so weren't needed.




I left the fabric glue to dry for 24 hours.

During this time I grabbed the pages part and used a craft heat gun to heat up the glue and remove the 2 ribbon bookmarks that came on the book. Pulled back the fabric at the top of the spine and I used a hot glue gun to glue down the new ribbons. - Which I cut to size and then melted each of the ends with a lighter so that they didn't/don't fray. Once glued the ribbons in I glued the fabric spine pieces back together.

I then made a template of the size of my pages and cut some spare fabric left overs to the size of the pockets I wanted, plus a bit extra to wrap around and glue. Once correct size I covered the front of the fabrics in mod podge fabric glue and used my heat gun to dry it (dont hood too close or too long as it MIGHT cause the glue to bubble). I then flipped them both over and did the same to the back - this will make the fabric act more like a plasticy fabric making it more durable and less likely to fray or wear out as quickly. I left them for 12 hours.

I attached the bat charm to one of the lobster clasps I have using a 5mm jumping.

Once everything was dry I took the pocket pieces and stapled them in place as close to the spine of the book as possible. Securing the staples tighter and flatter with long nose pliers.  I bent the excess fabric around to the back of the page and using hot glue and scissors to cut around the corner then hot glued that down. I repeated for both of them and then coloured over the staples with a black sharpie.

I then measured and found where I wanted my eyelets to be on the spine of my book. I punched a hole and using my eyelet setter I clamped in 2 eyelets. The top for if I want to add a charm later and the middle-ish for an elastic closure.. I threaded the elastic through measured how much I'd need by temporarily placing the pages inside the cover and cut. I then knotted off the elastic on the inside and hot glued it to ensure that it wouldn't come undone. I also hot glued around the eyelets inside to reinforce the holes - probably not needed.

I then hot glued 3 pieces of scrap fabric across the pages part and spine (possibly not needed but reduces the paper warping and helps with bonding).

Once everything was ready I covered the pages I didn't want to get glue on and the ribbons with parchment paper and then wax paper creating a little cocoon of safety.. Glad I did. I used the fabric mod podge and applied it to the back page and the inside of the back cover (do not get it on the spine!) I brayered the back of the book closed put some wax paper over it and stacked a bunch of heavy books on top and left it for 24 hours (ok it was 25ish) when I came back I basically repeated the same gluing the outside page and inside front cover then sticking them together (making sure not to glue the spine) brayered and stacked books on top of wax paper and left for another 24 hours (ok it was 26ish this time). - I believe that glue dried in 20 minutes.. Is cured in 24 hours but you should leave 7 days before you wash or get wet. - It's fabric glue for clothing... 

Then I removed all the protective paper and such. Clipped the clip onto the elastic and done.

Hope that might have helped a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment